The easiest and least technical form of canine artificial insemination is an artificial insemination with fresh semen (also can be used with chilled collection), when the semen is collected from a dog and inserted into a bitch intravaginally. This simple and quick method has beed very popular and successful because it yields a number of clear benefits in comparison to just leaving two dogs together for a natural mating.
Advantages of Fresh AI:
- suitable for any breed.
- easy on the dog and the bitch.
- avoids the problems of a difficult-to-mate female or an incompatibility of the two animals (e.g. difference in size or personalities).
- 100% safe for both, if performed by trained and experienced technicians;
- does not require any form of sedation.
- feels very natural for both dogs and bitches.
- can be used with fresh and chilled semen.
- easier than assisted natural matings in a lot of cases.
- provides the assurance of a successful ejeculation and visual analysis of a collected sample (if not analysed and evaluated professionally) in terms of colour, presence of blood and volume.
- gives certainty that a successful mating has taken place.